We are super excited this week to have Leftover Salmon banjoy player Andy Thorn as our guest on No Simple Road.
Andy never expected to go viral. But in 2021, he was in his backyard, playing an improvised banjo tune to a wild fox, when his wife caught the whole thing on video. The video made headlines around the world. Soon, Andy was interviewed on the Kelly Clarkson Show and A & E’s Neighborhood Wars. Even NPR’s Political Gabfest discussed the video. A New York Times writer called it “a moment plucked from Aesop.”
We talk with Andy about:
- Why he picked up the banjo at age 13.
- How spending his time wisely during lockdown created so many beautiful things.
- The ways he’s seen the Bluegrass scene grow and change over the years.
- Does Andy think that Bluegrass can sustain shows in stadiums?
- How Mayor McCheese started touring with Leftover Salmon.
- His perspective on playing with a band he used to go see.
- What it was like for him to play music in France.
- How he and’ Foxy’ became friends.
- His experience playing Salmon Fest.
… and a whole lot more!
Check out Andy’s solo album ‘Songs Of The Sunrise Fox’ streaming everywhere and for Leftover Salmon tour info, merch, and more head over to www.leftoversalmon.com
-For THE BEST MUSHROOM CHOCOLATES EVER go over to @MELTMUSHROOMS ON INSTAGRAM and shoot them a DM for a menu of all the amazing flavors of MUSHROOM CHOCOLATE BARS and MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM NSR SENT YOU FOR $20 OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER!
-FREE SHIPPING from Shop Tour Bus Use The PROMO CODE: nosimpleroad
-Make Sure to visit our friends at Fire On The Mountain for some amazing food at one of the 3 location in the Portland area or one of the 2 location in the Denver area!
-CHECK OUT www.venuellama.com TO RATE YOUR FAVORITE VENUES AND GET HELPFUL INTEL ON VENUES YOU’VE NOT YET BEEN TO!
INTRO MUSIC PROVIDED BY – Will Hanza of Escaper
MUSIC IN THE COMMERCIALS BY AND USED WITH PERMISSION OF:
OUTRO MUSIC BY AND USED WITH PERMISSION OF:
No Simple Road is part of OSIRIS MEDIA. Osiris Media is the leading storyteller in music, combining the intimacy of podcasts with the power of music.
We inform and delight music fans by creating shows with leading artists, telling untold stories, and working with brands to craft compelling narratives that bring music to life.